Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fashionology: If the shoe fits...

Fashionology
2.8.11

If the shoe fits, you're still screwed if you can't afford it.
(yes, you can quote me on that.)

As I begin blogging more and more about outfits and my wardrobe, I should probably just lay this out there, because I'm always asked: I don't have simply two or three particular stores that I shop at exclusively. It will probably shock you where I actually find some of the items in my wardrobe. One day I will list all of my favorite stores and where I could shop if I could afford to, but for now just know that most of the places I shop at on a regular basis are not necessarily on my list of favorite stores. I use all of my favorite stores and their latest trends as inspiration, so I think it's a good idea to always keep up with what's going on with designers or clothing lines that you like... even if you can't afford them at that moment.

I don't care where it's from, as long as it's cute, and as long as it's a bargain. The main thing I look at when I'm shopping is the price, and that's my bottom line. Although I do enjoy "high end" fashion every now and then, I am still a pastor's wife... not a doctor's wife. Because of my love for clothes, fashion and the constant desire to create new looks, my husband is gracious enough to give me my very own "clothes" portion in our monthly budget. I am passionate about the fact that you don't have to make a ton of money or spend over $100 an item to have a great wardrobe. I do believe and know from experience that high-end fashion usually means higher quality and longer wear, but it's definitely not a necessity to creating a trendy look.

This might shock some, but if I spend over $12 on a shirt, you better believe that I:
A. LOVE the shirt
B. Really NEEDED the shirt, or
C. It just looked really stinkin' CUTE on me or was very FLATTERING

If shopping were an olympic event, I would definitely have a chance at participating in the games, but if BARGAIN shopping were an olympic event, I'd be up for the gold. It's all about knowing where to go, what department to shop in once you are there, and going often enough to catch the good stuff. If one singe piece of clothing is over $20, I ask myself if I love it enough to spend $100 on it. If the answer is no, it goes back on the rack. If the answer is yes, I'll walk around with it for a few minutes. I have found that walking around for a while, before heading up to the register is a great way to filter out some of the spontaneous shopping habits that grab ahold of some of us so tightly! (my hand is in the air!) When your budget is a major factor, or if you are just trying to stretch it a little and get more for your money, always weigh out the pro's and cons...

Is it too similar to something I already have?
Is it flattering on me?
What does my shopping budget look like?
Is there something else I want/need more?
Is it a want? If so, would I want it this bad if it cast $100?
Is it a need?
Can I find it somewhere at a better price?
If it is a lower-quality brand, how many times can it be washed before it falls apart or shrinks?

....just a few of the thoughts that runt through my head.

So with all of that being said, although I may not like 90% of the things that Old Navy comes out with... I can usually find something on their clearance rack that works well for me. So although it is not even close to being one of my favorite stores, I hit it up every now and then. In this case, I got an email about a clearance event they were having, clicked on a link and ended up finding three VERY cute shirts under $5 and two that were under $10. Here's one of them...





Shirt: Old Navy.com - clearance for $5.97

Cardigan: Banana Republic - $? - from approx. 2 years ago, it's still a staple in my closet

Belt: Thrift Store - $1

Jeans: Khol's $17.99 "SO super skinny jeans" (These I love because they do not lose their shape, they are long enough for me to wear with flats, the legs are not baggy on me at all, and they were a great price. You can find them in the jr. dept.)

Boots: Charlotte Russe $39.99 (boots are something that I didn't mind investing in when I lived up north and had to deal with snow all of the time, but this year I really struggled with spending more than $50 on something that I could only wear for a few short months. These were a great price and have held up perfectly so far this winter.)

I wore this outfit for a day of shopping with my little sister, mother-in-law and best friend. We hit up some thrift stores, Hobby Lobby, Pier One, and a few others before meeting up with our men for a delicious dinner at Chuy's. I love Chuy's because it's an "Austin original" restaurant that has now opened several locations in the Houston area.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Looove this!!! Great advice!!!